If the miscarriage doesn’t start by itself you can choose to induce it with medication.
If you want to do this, an appointment will be made with a gynecologist. After explanation you will receive 2 types of medicines. The first medicine prepares the uterus. You take the other medicine (usually vaginal tablets) 2 days later; this medicine triggers the miscarriage.
If the medication is not effective (the miscarriage does not start or does not start sufficciently), then, depending on the situation and your wishes, it can be decided to wait or to perform a curettage.
Advantages of medication:
- Besides waiting, the most chance of a natural process
- The grief can be experienced at home
- If the result is as hoped, curettage is no longer necessary (85%).
Disadvantages of medicine;
- Sometimes people find it scary to experience a miscarriage at home.
- Possible side-effects of the medication are nausea and diarrhea.
- It is possible that the miscarriage does not start or is not complete after the medication. As a result, curettage might still be necessary.